Sunday, August 12, 2007

I'm Such a Lucky Girl...

After much deliberation, I have a plan of attack for getting past my roadblock in poker.

I'm lucky because I have a group of people that actually give half a damn when I'm running bad and want to help. I received a lot of great advice from them, but in the end I had to make a decision about having a game plan to get back in this game!

So, I took a little time to process all the info I was getting and do some reading, exploring etc. I still wasn't sure how I was going to attack this problem and decided to play a few low stake MTTs. I played 4 and all 4 I went out to two or three outers. One was even the first hand I played in the turney. This is when I really started considering getting away from sngs and MTTs and go back to grinding ring. I had gotten a lot of advice advocating I start to grind ring and keep track of my play in Poker Tracker. Mainly, to find leaks and be able to plug them. Not to mention, my turney play was becoming more and more frustrating. This was starting to make more and more sense to me.

That's when I came across another thread on FTF of interest to me on bankroll management. It was written by a new effer on his blog, his poker nick is RivRunsDeep. Of course his blog post was in reference to limits that exceed my $50 br so I left a comment on his blog asking if he could bring it down to another level.

To my surprise I received a note from him on AIM last night wanting to discuss it with me. It was a pretty long convo so I wont drag it out here, but the jist of it was this:

RivRunsDeep: i like the micro NL games
RivRunsDeep: but I would pick one game
RivRunsDeep: no mixing
RivRunsDeep: if it is gonna be NL
RivRunsDeep: i would start with Micro
RivRunsDeep: whichever blinds offer a buyin around 4 bucks
RivRunsDeep: play 2 at a time
RivRunsDeep: and i would play ABC poker
RivRunsDeep: period
RivRunsDeep: look to book 3 buyins as a win and then stop for the day
RivRunsDeep: thats 12 bucks as a goal
RivRunsDeep: EVERY TIME
RivRunsDeep: if you lose 8 bucks........you are DONE
RivRunsDeep: you STOP
RivRunsDeep: if you do this for a week
RivRunsDeep: and win 5 days and lose 2
RivRunsDeep: that is a 44 dollar profit
RivRunsDeep: and the BR goes to 100
RivRunsDeep: very manageable
RivRunsDeep: if you stay within the guides
RivRunsDeep: and no POKERSLUTS buyins or fuckin around with Compton and Virge with shove games

Of course we had to make a little compromise with the Pstour thing :D I have to bank a $30 win every week to play on Sunday, or no pstour. So that will be your way of knowing how i did that week!!

Anyhow, the thing I wanted to make a point about is that everything Riv said sounds so damn elementary and simple. But when you're sucking and down in da dumpage... sometimes you need simple concepts drilled back into your brain.

That's also why I like to ask advice on FTF -- lots of times it is stuff I already knew, but have somehow started to fall away from as I play worse and worse.

So, my decision is to start to play ring only (except for pstour as stated above), to track my stats and follow br management guidelines. When I get my br up to play at .10/.25 level, I am going to buy myself poker tracker as a reward! I've decided to just use checkyourbets.com for now, since I will be playing nick dime, and take A LOT of notes on players. I'm going to do this because this is what I did when I first became a winning player, and that's what this is about for me, getting back to where I started.

So, wish me luck!! I will keep everyone posted on my progress via this blog.

And thanks again EFFERS!! It really is great to be part of a poker community.

4 comments:

  1. I would still get PT for stats. I think the non-registered version tracks like the last 1000 hands or something like that.
    As long as you keep the HH files, you can always import all of them once you get the full version of PT. There is also a beta version of a tracker that a lot of people on 2+2 are getting excited about called Holdem Manager.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Advice sounds good. I might have to try it. Hope it works for you!

    ReplyDelete